
Straight form meh pardner Charles.
Ok...are they really going to do a breathalyser in Trinidad? Who they trying to fool?
I remember driving to Maracas once, when home for holidays, and I was sitting in the front seat. Sean was driving. We were both drinking a Stag (YUM!) and we stopped at the lookout (photo above). There was a police car parked there. We never flinched. Sean was driving and drinking a beer.
Policeman came over and asked for one!!!
Now I am completely in favour of cleaning up the driving on the streets and highways of Trinidad and Tobago but the breathalyser will not solve that.
So before we go there, let us first analyse the objective in the breathalyser.
Obviously to be able to identify if a driver is over the legal alcohol limit while driving. And subsequently once caught driver will be:
1. Arrested?
2. Lose driver's permit
3. Points on permit
4. Car impounded - with an exorbitant release fee.
Ok so if it works (IF!!!!!!) they can succeed in taking drunk drivers off our roads and making the roads safer - right?
WRONG!
People in Trinidad drive according to their own laws - DRUNK or SOBER - and that includes me!
Driving down the foreshore after work - heading to Westmoorings. Traffic block up. What do I do? Put on my sport mode and speed through the look out before the fish market and hope I get a spot in the line without being caught by the police!
Did I break the speed limit? YES.
Did I break other traffic laws? YES.
Did I care? NO.
Did I do it again? TIRED!
Charles, yuh topic riling me up now! And the all-inclusive fetes - so we going to pay $1000TTD to go a fete and can only drink three beers.
So all-inclusive fetes will have to start being about food only then. And then what - we all get fat and can't wear no bikini when we go 'Bago or DDI?
Steups steups and more steups!!!!
So the real question then is - can the government really put measures in place to clean up the driving on the streets of Trinidad and Tobago?
Well the answer is. And it has to include drastic measures. Measures that wil affect some major stakeholders in Trinidad.
So let's talk about the drag racing boys. Boys with turbo and Nitrous on their car. Sean was one of them and many of his friends still are. Mind you, these guys are some of the best drivers on the planet. So it's not their fault. It's the man from Chaguanas who have air filter in his NIssan B-13, who cetch a Evo by the lighthouse and feel he could take him. That is the man who we have to worry about.
Or the 17 year old leaving licensing office with his freshly laminated (and paid under the table for!) drivers license. This kid is going home to a brand new Subaru and he can barely parallel park.
He is who we have to worry about. When he get on the road, he wants to prove that he is man.
So therefore is it the alcohol that we need to eradicate or the stupidity.
Now I don't drink that much and when I was home, I hardly got drunk and drove. Stoned yes. Drunk no.
I got in a terrible accident on Carnival Friday in 2000. Driving down South. Why? Because I was using my cellphone and not looking at the road. Not a drop of alcohol in my system but I was clearly charged up on stupidity.
Now looking up some news articles on this and I have realised that Colm IMbert is behind this. What an ass! No wonder this is so stupid...it's come from someone with high levels of stupidity.
OK. Leh we see what dey saying...
Banter between Piggot and Imbert. Usual crap. MP want to do something but no resources to do it. My favourite quote from an article I just read from today's (online) Guardian, written by Alicia LLanos is:
"He said the ministry had placed an order for the acquisition of the first set of the devices, which were scheduled to arrive on December 15 in time for the Christmas season."
The first set of devices?!?!?!?! You know they are sending five to POS, two to San Do and the other five on a needs-only basis.
Trinidad yes. The land of guaranteed laughter.
So the limit is two and a half beers. What about scotch and coconut? How much ah dat ah could have?
Aye aye! The Act has a name. The Motor Vehicle and Road Traffic Amendment Act.
And in today's Trinidad Express, Julian Neeves writes:
"Acting Commissioner of Police James Philbert told the Committee training was done before and there was an opportunity now for public education and further training. He advised that the public should start adjusting their drinking behaviours so they are not embarrassed or inconvenienced when officers begin breathalyser testing."
HAHAHA!!!!! In other words, don't drink and drive or else you will be embarrassed.
What about don't drink and drive because you might die?
Trinidad yes.
That's all on that for now.
In a timing.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.